- Canadians who have had an allergic reaction to the first dose of the vaccine can be safely given the second, according to the advisory committee.
- The House of Commons vaccine rule puts O’Toole in an awkward position.
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will be deployed in Saskatchewan to help fight the province’s fourth wave of COVID-19.
The CAF said on Saturday that up to six intensive care nurses would be deployed to intensive care units across the province and would “provide aero-medical transport” for patient transfers in and out of the city. Saskatchewan.
“We plan to support the province until November 17, but are ready to extend if necessary,” CAF said.
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair said on Twitter on Friday that the federal government has approved “a request for federal assistance to support the people of Saskatchewan” and that “we will soon have more to tell about the situation in Saskatchewan â.
We are also in talks with SK to provide addtl @redcrosscanada and other health resources. @redcrosscanada has been on the ground to help communities fight the pandemic in our provinces and territories, including. as part of an ongoing deployment in Alberta.
The province submitted its formal request for federal assistance last Monday, a spokesperson for Public Safety Canada told CBC News on Saturday, adding that work should continue over the weekend to identify the necessary resources.
Earlier this month, eight CAF critical care nurses began working at an Edmonton hospital after the Government of Alberta also asked for help.
Saskatchewan reported 231 new cases and five more deaths on Saturday. Hospitalizations are at 288, and 77 are in intensive care.
Starting early next week, up to three ICU patients per day will be transferred from Saskatchewan to hospitals in Ontario. As of Friday evening, seven have already been transferred.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority said on Friday it could activate the next step in its triage plan, as COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to overwhelm the healthcare system.
Derek Miller, the authority’s chief of emergency operations, said a committee made up of doctors and ethicists is in the process of preparing a formal recommendation to move to the second stage of triage.
The province has been operating under the first stage for several months, which involves canceling surgeries to free up beds and health workers to focus on COVID-19 cases. The second step would involve doctors consulting ethicists to find out who is and is not receiving life-saving care.
“It is absolutely shocking, and there is no other way to describe the direction Saskatchewan is taking,” said Dr. Katharine Smart, president of the Canadian Medical Association, from her home in Whitehorse.
What’s happening across Canada
- Alta. authorities seek to dispel the myth that vaccination causes sexual dysfunction.
- Prince Edward Island launches fund for organizations needing tablets to verify Vax Pass.
- Need help setting up a vaccination passport? NL Public Libraries have you covered.
- New rules for indoor gatherings come into effect in the NWT
What is happening in the world
As of Saturday, more than 243.1 million cases of COVID-19 had been reported worldwide, according to a case tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University. The death toll worldwide was over 4.9 million.
In Africa, Congo has received 756,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson single injection vaccine, according to the Africa CDC.
1 / 2- The DR Congo received last night 756,000 doses of J&J vaccines at Ndjili airport.
A symbolic presentation to the Vice Minister of Health Her Excellency VÃ©ronique Kilumba Nkulu was organized in the presence of the representative of UNICEF in the DRC, Mr. Edouard Beigbeder pic.twitter.com/r7ZJtJ16fq
In Europe, the Austrian Chancellor warned that unvaccinated people could face further lockdown restrictions if the number of coronavirus cases continues to rise.
In AsiaSri Lanka has announced plans to offer booster shots to frontline workers and the elderly as the island nation prepares to ease restrictions further.
In the AmericasWhite House Chief Medical Advisor Dr Anthony Fauci said Americans may choose a different COVID-19 booster vaccine from their original inoculation, but the recommendation is to stick with the vaccine that ‘they received first if it is available.